Linux System Administrator
Company: Fayetteville Public Works Commission
Posted on: November 10, 2019
This position is being offered as a remote work or onsite
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES: The IS Linux Systems Administrator
(SA) is responsible for effective provisioning,
installation/configuration, operation, support and maintenance of
systems hardware and software and related infrastructure.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to,
participation in technical research and development to enable
continuing innovation within the infrastructure, administration and
maintenance of all Linux systems.
SA Engineering and Provisioning:
- Engineer SA-related solutions for various project and
- Install new/rebuild existing servers and configure hardware,
peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, in
accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Deploy and maintain Linux servers in VMware vCenter and
physical server environments.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures
and contribute to/maintain system standards.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible,
automated approaches for system administration tasks.
Operations and Support:
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and
availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key
processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying
scripted jobs have completed successfully.
- Well versed in setup of new user accounts and permissions in a
Linux environment using Red Hat IDM.
- Knowledge of Bash, Perl or Python is preferable.
- Assist applications team with reviewing error logs and root
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support
storage/compute capacity planning
- Provide Tier III/other support per request from various
constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures.
Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
- Ability to work with users to detail service delivery
requirements and system functionality/ work closely with DBAs,
Application teams, and management.
- Apply Linux OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and
upgrade administrative tools and utilities. configure/add new
services as necessary.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and
resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk
partitions as required.
- Maintain data center environmental and monitoring
.EQUIPMENT OPERATED: The position is accountable for the following
systems: Linux Red Hat Version 5/6/7 to support Oracle Production
Applications and Databases; Support Fiber Channel SAN environments
such as HP 3par and HP EVA, HP MSA, CommVault Backup system, NetApp
E-series, Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS), VMware vSphere
5.5/6.5, communication equipment, and other equipment and software
as required. Perl, Bash or Python scripting. Familiar with Logical
Volume Management (LVM), Weblogic and Java applications. Experience
with SPACEWALK, RED HAT IDM, SALT or Ansible preferred.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: You are an
authority on Linux; You have worked as a Linux Administrator or
possess hands on experience with Linux (CentOS, REDHAT); You enjoy
diagnosing and solving problems related to the operating system,
hardware, network, and related software; You can actively run and
maintain performance including software upgrades, patch installs,
system tests, and other scheduled operations; Reviewing system logs
files for errors, settings up CRON jobs for back-ups and monitoring
process; Leading all sys-admin functions of the servers, perform
patch and software distributions, run security configuration of the
systems, provide reports for management use, and demonstrate system
health and compliance based on pre-defined standards; ability to
problem solve and exercise good judgment; ability to communicate
effectively orally and in writing; ability to develop and maintain
effective working relationships with all levels of employees.
Keywords: Fayetteville Public Works Commission, Fayetteville , Linux System Administrator, IT / Software / Systems , Fayetteville, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!