Chief of Police
Company: City of Fort Bragg
Location: Fort Bragg
Posted on: February 23, 2021
Medical, dental, vision, Life/Accidental Death & Dismemberment,
Long Term Disability, Flexible Spending Accounts, Supplemental
AFLAC benefits, CalPERS pension and deferred compensation (457b),
discounted CV Starr Center membership The Chief of Police plans,
organizes and directs the full range of Police Department, the
enforcement of all federal state and local laws and regulations and
the investigation and prevention of crime. Provides highly
responsible and technical staff assistance to the City Manager.
Assures community oriented policing, supervision of police
operations and investigation of crimes. Provides assistance and
liaison with other public safety providers, community service
agencies, and city departments. Performs a wide variety of
responsible management and administrative tasks requiring a high
level of professional and technical skill and independent
judgement. Acts as a problem solver in City and community matters.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans, organizes, directs and coordinates the activities of
Police Department in the preservation of order, protection of life
and property; enforcement of all federal, state and local laws,
codes and ordinances, investigation and prevention of crime; and
maintenance of effective communication and records systems and
other support activities.
- --Develops, implements and revises departmental rules,
procedures and policies; reviews actions and conduct of
subordinates, recommends corrective action and maintains effective
discipline throughout the department.
- Directs and participates in the development, implementation and
monitoring of annual departmental budget; prepares reports and
recommendations concerning proposed city activities and their
budgetary and/or staffing impact on the city and the police
department and recommends purchase of equipment and supplies.
- Identifies and develops solutions to difficult community and
organizational problems and assures effective implementation
through the Police Department.
- Recommends appointment and evaluates Police Department
personnel, assigns work projects; coordinates work or subordinates
and has general accountability for the effectiveness of all
operations; observes and takes corrective action on significant
employee relations problems; and implements Affirmative Action
Program within the Police Department.
- Develops and ensures enforcement of Police Department operating
policies and procedures.
- Coordinates Police Department activities and maintains liaison
with other federal, state, county and local law enforcement related
agencies on judicial, prosecution and defense issues.
- Represents the Police Department before the City Council and
other governmental bodies; prepares and presents special studies
and reports concerning Police Department programs and
- Represents the Police Department before various community
groups, develops and implements the department's community relation
efforts with special emphasis toward community oriented policing
principles and practices and maintaining positive and effective
relationships among the various communities in Fort Bragg.
- Reviews reports on crimes committed, arrests made,
investigations conducted and unusual incidents requiring
documentation and assure their transmittal to other agencies and
the City manager as appropriate.
- Investigates or directs investigation of citizen
- Performs duties and responsibilities of Operations Division
Chief in the City's Emergency Organization. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Possession of a valid Class C or higher California driver's
- Possession of the Advanced Certificate issued by the State
Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training. REQUIRED
- Possession of a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice, Police
Science, Public Administration or related field; and
- POST Advanced Certificate; and
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience at
the rank of Sergeant or above. DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION
- POST Management Certificate --FBI National Academy Training;
- Advanced Command Training; or
- Senior Command level or prior Chief's experience; or
- Master's Degree in Criminal Justice, Police Science, Public
Administration or related field; or
- More than 5 years of progressively responsible experience at
the rank of Sergeant or above. What is your preferred method of
Keywords: City of Fort Bragg, Fayetteville , Chief of Police, Other , Fort Bragg, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!